MB609 Capstone: Strategic Management
Stand-Alone Project: Strategic Audit (200 points)
You shouldÂ begin working on the Stand-Alone Project early in the course.Â Each lesson provides a benchmark for completing the Stand-Alone Project in a timely manner while working through the course. You will find this information in the â€œStand-Alone Project Benchmarkâ€ section of each lesson. (200 points) (A 10-page response is required for the combination of Parts A, B, and C.)
Instructions:Â The Stand-Alone Project requires you to perform an in-depth strategic audit of American Airlines, Inc. The strategic audit is comprised of six (6) parts. Use the following instructions to guide your research and writing. Your Stand-Alone Project responses should be both grammatically and mechanically correct and formatted in the same fashion as the project itself. If there is a Part A, your response should identify a Part A, etc. In addition, you must appropriately cite all resources used in your response and document in a bibliography using APA style. (200 points) (A 20-page double-spaced response is required for the combination of Parts A, B, C, D, and E.)
These past several years have been troubling times for the airline industry. Jet fuel prices alone have risen 110% from January 2001 to December 2006, and 133% from January 2007 to July 2008. Each of the largest U.S. airlines including United/Continental and Delta/Northwest, have filed for bankruptcy at least once. American Airlines (AA) was the only major airline that managed to stay away from bankruptcy for many years. Despite not having turned a profit in 2004 or the first half of 2005, the company hoped its turnaround plan would start yielding results and put it back on the road to profitability and increased market share. Unfortunately, American Airlines filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy on November 29, 2011, helping to hold off creditors, renegotiate union and labor contracts, pass on pension burdens to the government, etc. On February 9, 2012, Reuters reported that American Airlines’ creditors’ committee wanted a merger explored, contrary to American Airlines management’s goal to stay independent. American Airlines ultimately merged with US Airways in December 2013.
You are required to take on the role of a strategic analyst hired before the final merger decision was made. You must suggest ways by which American Airlines could reinvent itself and compete effectively in an industry where the rules of the game changed drastically. Based on your own research on American Airlines and the domestic airline industry, prepare a strategic audit using the format outlined below.
The following steps are suggested in preparing your strategic audit.
1. Read all of the instructions below and then perform research on American Airlines. Make notes of the information that you will need to use in writing your strategic audit as well as notes that you think will be helpful in making decisions and recommendations.
2. Obtain the information you need (regarding the organization, specific industry, and recent events and changes) using the following resources.
a. The American Airlines website
b. Hooverâ€™s (This can be accessed through ProQuest: Use American Airlines as your search term and limit your search to within the Hoover database.)
c. Articles on ProQuest that are specifically related to the industry or current events regarding the company, including:
Conaway, D., Esq. (2012). American airlines: Who’s flying the plane?Â BusinessÂ
Credit, 114(5), 34-37. Retrieved fromÂ http://search.proquest.com/docview/1016478509?accountid=45844
d. Other sources of research, which are recommended (but not required), include newspapers, business magazines, news programs, trade journals, etc.
3. Based on the information and insights obtained from your research, apply your knowledge of the concepts and techniques in the textbook, your professional and personal experiences, and your analytical and reasoning skills to critically evaluate the strategic performance of the company (at the corporate, business, and functional levels) and suggest recommendations for future strategic initiatives.
4. In addition, read the Stand-Alone Project Benchmarks in each Assignment to get an idea of how to progress in this strategic audit as you work through the course.
Part A Situation: Discuss the following issues related to American Airlinesâ€™ situation in 2013.
1. Performance: Â How has the company performed over the last several years in terms of revenues, profitability, and market share?
2. Strategic Posture
a. Mission: What is the companyâ€™s vision/mission statement?
b. Objectives: What are the corporate, business, and functional objectives? Are they consistent with each other and with the mission?
c. Strategies: What strategies has the company employed in order to be able to meet these objectives? Are these strategies consistent with each other and with the overall mission?
3. Corporate Governance
a. Directors: Who are the directors? Are they internal or external? What do they contribute to the corporation in terms of knowledge, skills, and background?
b. Top Management: What persons or groups constitute top management? How suited is the management team to the achievement of corporate objectives?
Part B External Analysis
1. Porter Analysis: Perform an in-depth analysis of the firmâ€™s task environment using Porterâ€™s Approach to Industry Analysis. Analyze the importance and impact of the following five (5) forces.
a. Threat of New Entrants
b. Bargaining Power of Buyers
c. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
d. Rivalry Among Competing Firms
e. Threat of Substitute Products or Services
2. Other Characteristics: Describe at least three (3) other industry characteristics that you think are important and that affect the performance of firms in this industry.
3. Opportunities: Discuss at least five (5) opportunities available to the firm based on the industry analysis.
4. Threats: Discuss at least five (5) threats facing the firm based on the industry analysis.
5. External Factors Analysis Summary: Develop an External Factors Analysis Summary (EFAS Table) for American Airlines listing the five (5) opportunities and five (5) threats described above. Discuss why you consider these external factors to be important.
Part C Internal Analysis
1. Core Competencies
a. Description: Describe at least two (2) core competencies that the firm possesses or can develop.
b. Distinctiveness: Are these distinctive competencies? Explain.
2. Competitive Position
a. Current Position: What is the firmâ€™s current competitive position? Discuss.
b. Competitive Advantage: Does the firm possess a significant competitive advantage over other firms in the industry? Explain.
c. Sustainability: Can the firm sustain its competitive advantage over the long term? Explain.
3. Strengths: Discuss at least five (5) strengths of the firm based on the competitive analysis.
4. Weaknesses: Describe at least five (5) weaknesses of the firm based on the competitive analysis.
5. Internal Factors Analysis Summary: Develop an Internal Factors Analysis Summary (IFAS Table) for American Airlines listing the five (5) strengths and five (5) weaknesses described above. Discuss why you consider these internal factors to be important.
Part D Analysis of Strategic Factors (SWOT)
1. Situational Analysis: What are the most important internal and external strategic factors (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) that strongly affect the companyâ€™s present and future performance? List 12 strategic factors (3 each of the opportunities, threats, strengths, and weaknesses) and discuss the relevance/importance of each to the strategic planning process.
2. Strategic Factors Analysis Summary: Develop a Strategic Factor Analysis Summary (SFAS) Matrix for American Airlines using the strategic factors described above.
3. Review of Mission and Objectives: Are the companyâ€™s mission and objectives relevant in light of the above external and internal strategic factors? Explain.
4. TOWS Matrix and Strategies
a. Matrix: Develop a TOWS Matrix for American Airlines, listing three (3) opportunities, three (3) threats, three (3) strengths, and three (3) weaknesses.
b. Strategies: For each category (SO Strategies, WO Strategies, ST Strategies, and WT Strategies), develop at least two (2) alternative strategies based on these factors; this is a total of eight (8) strategies.
Part E Strategic Alternatives and Recommended Strategies
1. Strategic Alternatives: What are the major feasible alternative strategies available to the company? Select and describe the top four (4) strategies that you think upper management should consider as part of the strategic planning process.
2. Recommended Strategies: Which of the above strategic alternatives do you recommend for the organization? You must make at least two (2) comprehensive recommendations that describe the strategic direction you think the firm should take based on its current situation and issues. Your recommendations can include corporate, business, or functional strategies based on the facts of the case and your analysis of the firm. Number your recommendations and group them as applicable (for instance, if you recommend a low-cost business strategy, list any functional strategies that lead to it as sub points).
NOTE: There is no right or wrong choice; however, you need to justify your recommendations in terms of their impact on the profitability and long-term competitive position of the firm.
3. Justification: Justify your recommendations in terms of their impact on the profitability and long-term competitive position of the firm. Use the following criteria to guide each of your recommendations.
a. Relevance: How does the recommendation deal effectively with the strategic issues facing the organization?
b. Sustainability: How does the recommendation lead to a competitive advantage that is sustainable over the long term?
4. Commentary: Read the following article and comment on the final decision made by American Airlines in 2013. Why do you feel this was a good/bad strategic decision?
Arnold, K. (2013, Dec 22). No. 1 business story of 2013: American airlines merger.Â McClatchy â€“Â
Tribune Business NewsÂ Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/1470294132?accountid=45844
Get Professional Assignment Help Cheaply
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Why Choose Our Academic Writing Service?
- Plagiarism free papers
- Timely delivery
- Any deadline
- Skilled, Experienced Native English Writers
- Subject-relevant academic writer
- Adherence to paper instructions
- Ability to tackle bulk assignments
- Reasonable prices
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Get superb grades consistently
Online Academic Help With Different Subjects
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
What discipline/subjects do you deal in?
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Are your writers competent enough to handle my paper?
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
What if I don’t like the paper?
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
- When assigning your order, we match the paper’s discipline with the writer’s field/specialization. Since all our writers are graduates, we match the paper’s subject with the field the writer studied. For instance, if it’s a nursing paper, only a nursing graduate and writer will handle it. Furthermore, all our writers have academic writing experience and top-notch research skills.
- We have a quality assurance that reviews the paper before it gets to you. As such, we ensure that you get a paper that meets the required standard and will most definitely make the grade.
In the event that you don’t like your paper:
- The writer will revise the paper up to your pleasing. You have unlimited revisions. You simply need to highlight what specifically you don’t like about the paper, and the writer will make the amendments. The paper will be revised until you are satisfied. Revisions are free of charge
- We will have a different writer write the paper from scratch.
- Last resort, if the above does not work, we will refund your money.
Will the professor find out I didn’t write the paper myself?
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
What if the paper is plagiarized?
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
When will I get my paper?
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
Will anyone find out that I used your services?
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
How our Assignment Help Service Works
1. Place an order
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
2. Pay for the order
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
3. Track the progress
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
4. Download the paper
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!